A keto diet or a ketogenic diet is a high fat, moderate protein, and low-carb diet that is beneficial for health. It can aid in many health conditions such as Epilepsy, Heart diseases, Cancer, and many more. Keto diet is also known for its weight loss benefits, however, due to some lesser-known facts, a person may not be able to lose weight. In such a situation it becomes necessary to acknowledge the reasons due to which a person is unable to lose weight.
Top Reasons Why You are Not Losing Weight on a Keto Diet
- Unable to Reach the State of Ketosis
Mainly, when a person is unable to lose weight on a keto diet it is due to the inability to achieve ketosis. When the body burns fat to produce energy in place of glucose it is known as ketosis. It is achieved when a person cuts back enough on carbs. A person on a keto diet is recommended to take only 5-10% of carbs of their total calorie intake. It can be difficult to cut back on carbs initially, however, to achieve weight loss it is necessary to limit the intake of carbs within the range. Carbs can be checked through a diet tracker app or a home kit can be purchased to check whether the body is in ketosis.
- Intake of Extra Calories
A keto diet focuses on the intake of fats and proteins and due to their high-calorie content, it is necessary to maintain the calorie deficit and not to consume extra calories. As intake of extra calories can cause difficulty in weight loss because the body will have enough fat to burn as well as to store. Therefore, it is vital to maintain a calorie deficit or to increase the number of calories you burn. Munching between the meals should be avoided and it is necessary to keep a check on dairy intake as well.
- Undiagnosed Medical Condition
In some cases, there is a possibility to not achieve weight loss even after following the correct diet. Reason to which can be an undiagnosed medical condition. In such a situation it is necessary to first see a doctor for determining the problem. Medical conditions that can hinder weight loss include hypothyroidism, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and high insulin level. Such conditions can cause stress, fatigue, and can even resist weight loss. Therefore, it becomes necessary to treat them.
- Not Consuming Enough Nutritious Food
Eating healthy and nutritious food is necessary to provide the necessary minerals and vitamins to the body. Intake of too many processed foods that are low on carbs but contain many calories can decrease the pace of weight loss. Food items such as protein bars, keto desserts are low in nutrients and are unable to keep you full for a long time. It is advisable to consume whole foods and healthy fats as they can fulfill the nutrient requirement of the body and helps to keep you full for a longer time.
- Constant State of Tension
Tension and stress are known to influence weight-loss negatively. Cortisol, a hormone commonly known as stress hormone is produced in excess when a person is in a state of tension. It can cause weight gain as well by retaining water. Tension can also disturb a person’s sleeping cycle as a person tend to sleep less when under stress or pressure. Lack of sleep can disturb the hunger controlling hormones leptin and ghrelin which can cause an increase in appetite. It is advised to practice yoga, meditation, or any other activity which can help with tension and stress.
- Intake of Alcohol in Excess
Many alcoholic drinks are known to have high carbs. This can disturb your carb count and increase the intake of carbs. This in turn disturbs the whole diet. Alcohol slows down the metabolism and fat burning rate decreases. Alcoholic beverages also have a high sugar content that affects the weight loss process as well. It is advisable to cut back on it until you continue with your diet.
- Consuming Too Much Sugar
Artificial sweeteners or sugar-free desserts are not always sugarless, sometimes they are loaded with sugar and leads to more weight gain. Keto sweets should also be taken in moderation as they are high in calories and their cravings can lead to overconsumption which increases the calorie intake and blood sugar levels. Due to the increase in blood sugar levels, the body asks for more food. It is preferable to choose unprocessed food that can help in satisfying craving and provides some nutrients.
- Fewer Physical Activities
Physical activities are necessary to stay fit and active. A keto diet combined with daily workout can give better results and it has many health benefits. It can help with better stress management and keeps you fresh. It not only helps in burning calories but also gets the metabolism going and results in weight loss sooner. It is important to incorporate some physical exercises in your daily routine to achieve your target.
- More Dairy Products
Consuming more dairy products can lead to an increase in the consumption of carbs. Dairy products are also known to be high in lactose due to which blood sugar level rises. Sweetened yogurt, flavored milk, ice cream, cheese is highly not recommended on a keto diet due to their high sugar content. Hard cheese, greek yogurt, and sour cream are considered to be better options.
- Deficiency of B Vitamins
B vitamins including folate, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 helps to boost metabolism and convert the food into the energy we use. They also help in controlling hunger as well as energy levels. Beans, leafy greens especially spinach, whole grains are some good sources with fewer calories.
- Ensure to stay hydrated as dehydration can cause you to eat more. Water is a great drink when it comes to weight loss as it is calorie-free and if consumed an hour before a meal it helps to suppress appetite. Other substitutes such as green tea or water-based fruits and vegetables can also be taken when hunger strikes.
- Add coconut oil in your diet to keep yourself in ketosis. A fat present in coconut oil is directly taken by the liver and is used to produce energy. It is advised to gradually add coconut oil in your diet to avoid any stomach problems.
- Maintain adequate intake of fats, proteins, and other nutrients. Initially, it is easy to follow the prescribed keto diet, however, after a while, you tend to crave processed, unhealthy food, however, it is necessary to consume healthy foods even after consuming the processed food to meet the daily nutrient requirements.
- Get adequate sleep and rest. Sleep can be an important factor when talking about weight loss and it can be the reason a person is unable to lose weight. A person deprived of sleep seems to be lethargic throughout the day in comparison to a person who gets adequate sleep. Sleep can induce healthier choices and helps to be active.
- Eat enough fiber. Since the keto diet doesn’t allow eating many carbs, a certain amount of fiber sources cannot be taken. Fiber helps you to feel full for a longer time giving you more satisfaction. Therefore, it is necessary to include some in your diet.
- It is necessary to stick to your keto diet. Constantly quitting and then continuing will get you nowhere as the body will not be able to go under ketosis. Since the body is used to eating lots of carbs it is better to first restrict only a few carbs to ensure consistency.
A Ketogenic diet can prove to be effective in weight loss if followed along with a healthy lifestyle including a few physical activities daily. It is necessary to be cautious of above- given reasons to see effective results. It is also advised not to rush into it without consulting a registered dietitian as that can have some negative impacts on health. Patience also plays a key role to achieve any target, it is important to be patient while following the prescribed diet along with setting realistic expectations.